Just another site that's giving you hard to find music

A Place To Find Some Rarer Tunes (Mod, PowerPop, Punk, Ska) ripped from my vinyl collection. If it sounds good I'll post it. The idea being that now you know about them, you can seek them out! If anyone is unhappy about any of these posts please contact me & I will take them off.

Monday 6 September 2010

The Russians - No title (1980)


b/w - Anything she wants

Great "Female vocal" new wave / powerpop on the Laser records label (usually you would expect rock or reggae on this label)

The Sole release for this Northampton band
(1979 - 1982)

Who were

Julie Rebelowitchz (voc)
Dusty Miller (guitar voc)
John Brassett (bass voc) ex Left hand drive
John Lucibello (drums)

They did record a Peel session 09/7/79 which was "Can't explain / Meet me after school tonight / Manic depression / stop, you're killing me" (broadcast 19/7/79)

Sounds & scans below

http://www.mediafire.com/?09cln4pt39i4voz

14 comments:

  1. Is anybody else having a hard time downloading this one? I've tried it several times yesterday and today and it keeps saying "No servers are currently available with the requested data on them." -which is odd. Everything else comes in fine.
    (By the way, thanks for the Spikes. Never heard of it but I'm sure it would've eventually become something I would've been looking for.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The link did appear to be broken, so I've re-upped it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! You know I'm a sucker for this sort of thing and, strangely, I like the A side better than the B. Nice record all around. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get that 'no servers are available' quite a lot with mediafire, but often they correct themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou!! LOve from Julie Rebelowitz xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie/Reb,

      I used to come and see the Russians loads and just found my old tapes and this single and put them on CD. They still sound great! Tried to contact you via your blog but can't find any way of doing it! Please contact me as I have started a facebook group for the Northampton music scene 70s/80s. If you're on facebook please contact me here https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=540825668 or check out the group https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/345715862119267/ Thanks. Ian

      Delete
    2. Hi Ian,
      that's great thanks xx

      Delete
  6. So that's how your surname is supposed to be spelt! - I've seen at least 3 different variants - NICE pic on spiralling -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Reb if you are out there please get in touch, we knew each other from the 79's when I was in a band called Hard Road. We used to see each other in Freerange Studios in Covent Garden, would be great to catch up. email me at kris@krisgray.co.uk
    Cheers
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to get a copy of the Peel session you did. I had it on an old cassette tape but can't find it. Remember seeing the Russians play live a few times especially at the old Racecourse pavilion in Northampton. If anyone has a copy please email me at andi.downes@virgin.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andi,
      That was one of my favorite gigs, great venue.
      I can send the session to you if you like, asap
      cheers, really glad you liked it thanks x

      Delete