Just another site that's giving you hard to find music

A Place To Find Some Rarer Tunes (Mod, PowerPop, Punk, Ska) ripped from my vinyl collection. If it sounds good I'll post it. The idea being that now you know about them, you can seek them out! If anyone is unhappy about any of these posts please contact me & I will take them off.

Friday 20 August 2010

AD'80 - the sound of london town (1980)


b/w - Taxi driver

I thought this would have been posted somewhere already - but a quick shifty & I came up with nowt. So here it is!

It's gained a bit of notoriety from being on Teenage treats vol 10

The Middlesex quartet were

Brian Rydell (voc)
David Farrah (guitar)
Neal Butler (bass)
Step Hoyland (drums)

for other info read the back sleeve

sounds & scans below

http://www.mediafire.com/?lwj4vc6hsufck37

6 comments:

  1. Maybe these folk are findable by now, I haven't checked recently, but some years ago I spent AGES trying to find the band. Off and on, for literally years. Got nothing, until one day I found a contact for one of them, still sorta in the music biz but not in any way famous... except I wasn't allowed to contact him directly, I had to deal with his "assistant". The "assistant" told me that Mr... did not under any circumstances wish to talk about AD'80. Wasn't interested in even hearing what the question might be. Tart! Since then, I've fucked them off and haven't bothered. Anybody else have any joy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the bassist although not credited above 🤔mick robinson , cam I help ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mick, Fistly sorry for not giving credit where it was due!
      I took the info from the rear of the sleeve which states: The band formed in May, when Brian, David & Step met whilst patients in the West Middlesex Hospital. Neal Joined in September, with their 1st Gig being played in October at a children's orphanage (Nazaeth House, London)
      If you can confirm/deny & add some more info to this sparse knowledge. i'll happily amend the post. If you'd rather not reply to this feel free to e-mail me at

      mylifesajigsaw@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Brian Rydell and Mick Robinson (who left the above comment) were both in Accent who released a single 'We Are Lost' in 1984. Accent billed themselves as 'casuals' and got the Garry Bushell seal of approval with a Sounds front page. The record sounds a bit like Secret Affair but without the brass section. Accent later evolved into Turquoise Blue who also recorded 'We Are Lost' giving it a synth pop makeover in 1987. Maybe it was Brian that blanked Trudy (Steve) all those years ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accent look interesting. Another 45 to put on the "need to find" list. Cheers, James

      Delete
  4. I remember liking the Accent record at the time but never came across a copy up here (Edinburgh). There's a recent-ish live album too, recorded back in the day. I'd swerve Torquoise Blue though!

    ReplyDelete